Saturday, March 22, 2014

What to do in Rome.

Has anybody been to Rome?

Penny suggested Rome as our next trip, probably as a test to see how much Italian I know...  At least that's what Fernando would do.  We've been watching the Detective Montalbano TV series on DVD, trying to recognize a few phrases, like "Che è successo?"  (If you are interested, you can learn some Italian by watching Italian Lessons on YouTube.)   Montalbano lives in Sicilia, not Rome, but I don't think he speaks the Sicilian dialect, at least not on TiVu.  The part I love best is the opening sequence:



Such wonderful scenery!

But I digress.  Back to Rome.  I wonder if they have a TiVu series based there.

I always like to see what people suggest as the best things to do in a city, even if some suggestions are to be completely ignored, like "Enroll in Gladiatior School to experience the real Rome back in the day" -- I'll just read those books by Alberto Angela.

Here are a few collections:

  1. 30 Unique Things To Do in Rome by Eating Italy Food Tours.  It's a compilation from 30 different people so that's nice.
  2. National Geographic: Free Things to Do in Rome.   We always love "free" things, especially after we've spent a thousand dollars on airfare to get there.
  3. Time-Out Rome: 20 Great Things to Do in Rome.  But still no list of open-air markets...
  4. Time Magazine: Rome 10 Things to Do.  "They say the best museum in Rome is the city itself."  He mentions eating a Kosher pizza: no cheese -- what fun is that?  Dump the meat!
One thing to note: don't follow the links on these lists.  Lots are broken.  Who knows when these lists were made.  But it doesn't matter because Rome is a Timeless City!




1 comment: