I just read and article in NY Magazine by blogger Amanda Ruggeri entitled "Want Real Italian Food? Skip These Eight Dishes.http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/09/for-real-italian-food-skip-these-seven-dishes.html
And she proceeds to list all the food I consider Italian, like spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, fettuccini alfredo, veal parmesan, penne with vodka sauce, chicken on pasta, etc. It seems these are all Italian-American inventions from when peasants arrived in the US and finally had plentiful food.
Luckily, she provides a list of what we should try. I'd better take lots of notes. I was heartened to read that real Italian food doesn't use all that much garlic. Think that's true?
And she proceeds to list all the food I consider Italian, like spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, fettuccini alfredo, veal parmesan, penne with vodka sauce, chicken on pasta, etc. It seems these are all Italian-American inventions from when peasants arrived in the US and finally had plentiful food.
Luckily, she provides a list of what we should try. I'd better take lots of notes. I was heartened to read that real Italian food doesn't use all that much garlic. Think that's true?
For those 3 simple Roman pasta dishes: cacio e pepe, alla matriciana, and carbonara, there is no garlic or onion in sight (unhappily for me because I like both). I've wanted to try the Sicilian cassata ever since I did a report on Palermo for Italian I. I'm not sure I'd really like it but it is so elaborate that I'd like to at least see one. I've been adding more foods and pastries to the past postings so we'll have them all in one place, and we can check them off as we go along.
ReplyDeletePenny, Eating Italy Food Tours has a list of 5 Roman foods you must try:
ReplyDelete1. Pizza Bianca
2. Fritti, including suppli
3. Carbonara
4. Pizza Roman Style (really thin with no lip)
5. Quinto Quarto (the tail counts)