Frank Cooper's marmalade to be exact. Fortnum and Mason has quite a number of marmalades to choose from but Frank Cooper isn't among them. Will might like F&M's Lucifer Marmalade with ginger and chilli. Many of the marmalades are no longer made with Seville oranges but with sweet oranges, just like in the United States. In 2013, the Evening Standard had a list of 5 of the best marmalades and Frank Cooper's was among them so it still exists, we just can't find it in Pittsburgh. Checking with the Evening Standard's source, Tesco, they indeed do have it and it's a lot cheaper than the marmalades at Fortnum and Mason (2.20£ as opposed to 4.95£ to 9.95£) so maybe I can get it at any local supermarket or check at the Tesco Superstore across the Thames.
Tesco even carries its own "Finest Dark Coarse Cut Rich Seville Orange Marmalade". How many jars should I bring back? A case like Daddy did from Victoria? But I'd have to haul it up to the Lake District with me... While we are in London we can do taste tests of the various kinds. Tesco offers about 24 kinds online and there's a Tesco Express a block from the apartment but who knows how many each store carries. There's also a Sainsbury's Local diagonally across from the apartment and a larger Sainsbury's about a kilometer down Fulham Road and, like Tesco, Sainsbury's carries Frank Cooper's marmalade online. Although maybe they should call it Sarah Jane Cooper's marmalade since it uses her 1874 recipe.
Or maybe I should just haul back a can of Robertson's Ma Made Thin Cut Seville Oranges and make my own marmalade, like I did one year when I found it at Williams Sonoma. Oh, never mind. I see I can get Ma Made on Amazon with free shipping for $13.71... For that matter, I can also get Frank Cooper's marmalade on Amazon for about $10 a jar with free shipping.
But what fun is that????



No comments:
Post a Comment