Saturday, December 12, 2020

More Sicilian Body Parts


Today in an article in Saveur by the National Italian Tourist Board -- Finding the Real Dolce Vita: A Delicious Adventure Into Palermo’s Secret Dessert Scene -- I learned of another Sicilian dessert that I had not heard of before (how could that be? I asked).  It is Fedde del Cancelliere or Chancellor's Buttocks, which have been updated with a shell shape instead of a derriere.  They are made of pistachio paste or marzipan shells filled with blancmange and apricot jam.  We'll have to be on the lookout for them!

The Fedde led me to an article on Santa Lucia's feast day where they mentioned another pastry named after a body part, le Palle del Nonno (grandfather's testicles -- and wouldn't you know it, testicles is feminine...).  These are supposed to be ricotta and chocolate beignets.  That also sounds good but I don't know if I would ask a restaurant if they had any.

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine those little old Sicilian ladies in the kitchen guffawing as they made up the names.....

    ReplyDelete