Sunday, January 10, 2021

The Ongoing Sicilian Food Saga

Usually I can find cookbooks in our local library system but there were two books about Sicilian cooking that I had to order as used books:  Pomp and Sustenance: Twenty-Five Centuries of Sicilian Food by Mary Taylor Simeti (an American who married a Sicilian and moved there in 1962) and Sicilian Food & Wine: The Cognoscente's Guide by Francesca Lombardo and Jacqueline Alio (two Sicilian women who claim to present "the most genuine, candid, unabashed side of Sicilian cuisine. Nothing nouvelle, just the very real thing.").  

Sicilian Food & Wine talks about the food (which I like) without recipes but Pomp and Sustenance also includes recipes.  I'm never sure which kind of cookbook author I prefer:  the native who grew up with the food, or the foreigner who is able to identify which dishes are unique to the region.  A healthy mix of both kinds of cookbooks is probably best.  I must admit that so far I prefer Pomp and Sustenance mainly because it includes the history of the dish and Lord knows Sicily has plenty of history!  It also includes drawings and photos and Sicilian Food & Wine is stark by contrast.  It would have been nice if I could have obtained the Italian version of the latter so at least it would give me some practice reading Italian.

In the meantime I am trying to practice my Italian with YouTube videos.  There's a British subscription called Pasta Grannies that films various older cooks (not all women) cooking special local dishes in Italy.  They offer 17 videos in their Sicily playlist and the advantage to these videos is that most are only 3 to 6 minutes long so you don't have to suffer through any very long preparations.  Today I watched Anna's fish couscous from Sicily (with wonderful tiles in the kitchen) and Nicola's Sicilian pizza called sfincione di Bagheria.   

This is so much easier than reading a cookbook and they do all the work!  Too bad we can't eat the end product.  And sometimes you might not want to eat the end product: next I'm watching Rosetta making pasta with sardines for Father's day!  I swear I will try it when we are in Sicily since it is pretty much the national dish.  The fennel should help.  Or I could opt for pasta con le sarde a mare: pasta with sardines at sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment