Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Marrakesh in four days; Madrid in one...

Talk about whirlwind tours!
Fernando has a EUSIPCO Conference in Marrakesh, Morocco the second week of September.  Since it is at the beginning of the fall term, we have to limit the visit to one week, as usual.  Last year I didn't attend the conference with him when it was in Romania because I didn't have much vacation time left.  This year I have no such excuse.  We are spending a day in Madrid since our flight from Marrakesh connects there and the layover is 18 hours -- not one I'd like to spend in an airport.  So we are spending two nights in an apartment hotel close to the Barajas airport and then taking the metro into the city.

In Marrakesh, we are staying at the "highly recommended" hotel on the EUSIPCO website called LE MERIDIEN N'FIS.  I can't find it anywhere else so I hope it really exists...  It looks like a swimming pool resort but it is only a 10 minute walk to the Palais de Congres where the conference is being held so I think we will survive.  It has wifi and   I have a Cadogan guide from the library called Marrakesh, Fez & Rabat, and a cookbook called A Month in Marrakesh (so we'll know what foods to look for) and I just ordered the Eyewitness guide: Top 10 Marrakech (it better arrive by Thursday like they said).  That's all we'll have time for, if that, but the Top 10  should include a map.  I just hope we can walk to places from the hotel.  I tried locating places on Google Maps but unfortunately they don't offer a street view so I can't see what the neighborhood around the hotel looks like.

I watched the Jamie Oliver Food Escapes TV episode on Marrakesh on Amazon Prime and made Fernando watch it too because I found it very interesting -- naturally Jamie talks a lot about food. 

What can we see in a day in Madrid??  I have a list of mercados de Madrid -- we have to visit at least one.  And we picked up a map and another Eyewitness Top 10 guide to Madrid at Barnes and Noble this evening.  And I used to scoff at those New York Times 36 Hours In... columns!

No comments:

Post a Comment