Saturday, January 18, 2014

Back to the Bargain Bites

I've gotten past the "dumpling" category in SF Gate's 100 Bargain Bites, learning in the process that there is a "Heart of the City" Farmer's Market at the UN Plaza above the Civic Center BART station on Sundays 7 am to 5 pm.  Maybe we can brave the winos in the tenderloin and visit this and Little Saigon at the same time.  I don't suppose the nearby main branch of the San Francisco Public Library would be open on Sunday morning...

Now we are on to the "Ramen" category in the Bargain Bites and halfway through the list.  Hapa Ramen is at the Ferry Building's Farmers Market every Tuesday and Thursday from 10 am to 2 pm.  Unfortunately the other Ramen places are outside San Francisco which doesn't help us!

On to Thai to the Amphawa Thai Noodle House out on Geary just beyond Park Presidio Boulevard in the Richmond.  It looks pretty good in the Bargain Bite article.  How many Thai restaurants do we have listed?

Oh, oh, now we seem to be hitting a lot of holes in the wall that are in other cities in the Bay Area.  There is, however, a King of Falafel who says it has the best falafel and then shows a picture of gyro meat on a spit!  There's also the Pica Pica Maize Kitchen, a Venezuelan restaurant specializing in arepas located in the Castro, but I'm not sure I want to pay $10.75 for an arepa.

Now we are in the sausage categories and I'm always a sucker for those.  They mention a Hungarian restaurant, Paprika, in the Mission District on 24th Street, offering German sausages, Czech beers and Hungarian dishes.  And then there is Pig and Pie, also on 24th Street in the Mission, which has its menu on a blackboard, always a charming touch, and Fernando could have tongue.  And also on 24th is a 3rd sausage place: Rosamunde Sausage Grill with 26 craft beers on tap.

Hm.  Did they have a Mexican food category?  Did I miss it?

PS: The Mexican restaurants were in Boyes Hot Springs, Larkspur, Oakland, and Redwood City so I didn't look them up.  I guess SF is too expensive for Mexicans to set up shop.

1 comment:

  1. I've been to the Heart of the City farmers' market, and it wasn't scary...I'm trying to figure out when that would have been. It was the time I went by myself and Susan met me and we saw Mama Mia. Maybe she'll remember. And it was a peoples' market, something I'm not sure the Embarcadero is. But it would be nice to see the central library, too. The market is also there on Weds, too, so we could go then and also look at some of the exhibit case exhibits.....as I remember there were some earthquake and food related ones. But now I can't find them at all on their site. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete