Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Edibles


Susan picked up an edible Ojai and Ventura County at the Ventura Farmers' Market and, golly, it's been a while since I perused their publications, and now they have Ventura county as part of the first edible publication from Ojai, with "Fillmore" on the front in tiny letters.  I see that Edible Allegheny is still around (I should subscribe so they don't fold like edible D.C. did -- although now I see that it is up and running again).  They are nice magazines to peruse now and then so you can see what food you should look for when you visit a place, and the photos can be lovely.

For instance, edible Queens has lovely photos of a featured Neighborhood Deli: Morscher’s Pork Store in Ridgewood.  Why, it looks even more interesting than that cheese store in Trastevere and I bet it smells absolutely fantastic!  Look at those sausages!  and they have more than one variety of headcheese.


Sometimes it is hard to know what town the magazine covers unless you are from the region, like edible East End (but then they have a lot of articles on latkes so you can figure it out), or Pioneer Valley (is that like Fillmore's Heritage Valley?), or Front Range, or Nutmeg, or South Shore, or even Door and Allegheny because who is familiar with counties?  And then there is edible WOW...  Detroit and Ann Arbor?  but what does W.O.W. stand for?  Wide Open West???

Are they yuppie publications?  You bet.  Just like Slow Food.  But every so often you run across something interesting that you didn't know before.

2 comments:

  1. There you have it.....something to do in your retirement! You can start an edible for your travels....http://www.ediblefeast.com/start-your-own-edible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! We could start one in Northern Idaho -- they don't seem to have one yet.

      Delete