Mother sent me back to the house with 3 new Sunset magazines, one of which featured a trek from Newport Beach to San Clemente with the author of a walkabout guide: Walkabout Malibu to Mexico: Hiking Inn to Inn on the Southern California Coast. The author, Tom Courtney, is my age, a retired UC Berkeley professor, and has written a previous book on walking Northern California. He's gotten a lot of local press and even a recent blurb in a New York Times blog but I haven't heard about Walkabout California that I can remember.
Naturally, the inns are not the 10 euro albergues that you find on the Camino but most of the ones Sunset lists are below $200 and I wonder if you couldn't find cheaper dives by the beach. A query about cheaper accommodations on the walkabout forum got this reply: "There are hostels and Motel 6 along the way....and there's always airbnb."
Obviously there will be a lot of stairs as you walk up and down the cliffs by the beach so it might be a little hard on the knees. You can buy digital sections of the guide online or download a complete digital version (pdf or kindle editions). Maybe Juan and Mandy would like to try the 5-day La Jolla to Mexico stretch sometime, although I know that they would much prefer a cruise or lolling on the beach.
I hope that soon Courtney will come out with a Walkabout Central California since he only reaches Monterey in the Northern California volume and starts at Malibu in the Southern California volume.

Sounds interesting. I wonder how hard the walking is with all that sand, or does he walk above the beach...for the views. Once I was looking at Ireland's coastal walks, but we'd have to bring our rain suits...probably wouldn't need that in CA. Are the monarch butterflies back in Santa Barbara?
ReplyDeleteDiane and Larry said we could take a walk to the Monarch preserve so maybe they are back. I haven't seen any here, but then there aren't many flowers for them.
Delete