Despite my desires to revisit old restaurants like Schroeder's, Grotto Number 9, Spenger's, and Yamato Sukiyaki, it doesn't work. Most of them are not there anymore and the others aren't worth visiting. Remember Foster's Cafeteria? But go look at the menu at Schroeder's and you will see what I mean: smothered tots, schwings and fried pickles! As in every other establishment that serves beer, they have to have hamburgers (I suppose they ARE German). The old waiters we knew at Schroeder's must be turning in their graves when they see the rowdy young whipper snappers there these days.
So we have to start from square one: browsing the neighborhood or searching on Yelp and Google Maps, hoping to find restaurants for old people. I actually thought I had gotten farther in this post that I started weeks ago but evidently most of my restaurants are on my Google map of San Francisco. I have browsed a bit along the Irving Street Corridor in the Inner Sunset and along Noriega Street near the apartment and so have added some restaurants there, in case we are hungry at night. On Clement Street, there is a French restaurant, Chapeau! which has an early bird prix fixe menu from $40.00, available on Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday, from 5:00pm to 6:00pm but otherwise it looks a bit expensive, which is what appears to be the norm in San Francisco. Perhaps I'm trying to relive the Hotel de France that we went to as kids when Daddy paid...
Perhaps we would be interested in visiting neighborhoods like Noe Valley. There's a Sardinian restaurant there called La Ciccia which is "intimate" so there shouldn't be rowdy diners but will probably be expensive. It was reviewed in the NY Times article, My Go-To Places for Regional Italian Food in San Francisco in 2011. In that same article they mention Perbacco, next to the Tadich Grill on California in the Financial District. Both sound good if we are interested in Italian. So does the Tadich Grill, but no prices on their menu.
But perhaps we are interested in something more foreign to us, although Penny can eat absolutely anything in New York City, unless we go with the totally weird fruits and nuts of California.
Should we find a replacement for Grotto #9 on Fisherman's Wharf? The last time Fernando and I went to Grotto #9 we were the only diners there and we eventually walked out because no one was waiting on us. There's Pacific Catch on 9th St near Irving below Golden Gate Park which advertises "sustainable salmon from the pristine shores of Chilean Patagonia". Isn't that where farmed salmon is polluting the coasts? It's very Californian with sushi, poke, rice bowls and tacos and not too expensive.
There's also Hog Island Oyster Co. whose special is oysters but they also have bowls of chowders and seafood stews. However it is in the Ferry Building so is probably touristy and overpriced. The same with Fog Harbor Fish House which is near the ferries on Pier 39. Going inland there is the Woodhouse Fish Company with two locations, one on Fillmore Street and one on Market. Woodhouse offers the classic dishes like clam chowder, iceberg Louie salad, steamed clams or mussels, fish and chips and cioppino.
So here's a start on food. I've got to go plant some shrubs now but will be back when inclement weather strikes!




No comments:
Post a Comment