Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hong Kong Neighborhoods: Sheung Wan (Western)

I'm reading through Fodor's Hong Kong and want to remember what I'd like to see. What better way than to enter them here so I can pull them up on my iphone. I should try reading this blog on the iphone...
Fodor starts out the neighborhoods with "Western" (Sheung Wan) -- "Western has been called Hong Kong's Chinatown" -- and since I've always loved San Francisco's Chinatown, that is reason enough to visit. Sheung Wan is on Hong Kong Island, to the west of Central and it has the Midlevels Escalator. Its iconic structure is Western Market, alas no longer a produce market, but the narrow streets to the west of it are trade streets: herbal medicine on Ko Shing Street and Queen's Road West, dried seafood on Wing Lok Street and Des Voeux Road West, ginseng and birds' nests on Bonham Strand West and chops (engraved seals) on Man Wa Lane. There are flea market items (aka antiques) on Upper Lascar Row (Cat Street) and a long narrow stair called Ladder Street (just like Pittsburgh) that you can take on your way to Man Mo Temple. Hong Kong Tourism Board has a Central-Western walking tour that covers these sites.
But Fodors says that to the west of Man Mo Temple is a "sleepy area filled with small shops" called Tai Ping Shan (the Chinese name for Victoria Peak and one of the oldest residential districts) and the Sheung Wan Wet (produce) Market at Sai Ying Pun and Centre streets. I'll be on the lookout for wet markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment