Imagine that! I thought the Exploratorium was still out by the Palace of Fine Arts, and I find that it's now "in a spectacular new location at Pier 15 on the Embarcadero at Green St."
Yes, Green Street! So I'm thinking we can roll out of bed and down Green and end up at the Exploratorium just before we splash into the bay. Wrong, when I hop into my Google maps car, I find I can't get there from here. Part of Telegraph Hill is in the way, and Green doesn't appear to go through. My Google takes me to Columbus where I jog right until I hit Broadway southeast (L) for two blocks and then north (L) on Sansome two blocks to pick up Green and continue east (R) to my destination. It's about a mile.
On to the Exploratorium site where I discover:
Friday, March 14, is Pi Day and the museum is FREE. It's a holiday founded by the museum. Open 10 to 5, and we'd better get there early! Senior admission is normally $19.
Also, that 1.5 acres of the Exploratorium's new 2 acres of outdoor exhibit space is free and open to the public. I'm wondering where they got those 2 acres of outdoor space on a pier and whether we'll need snorkels.
Read about the "Metamophosis" of the museum at Funworld Magazine.
IAAPA is dedicated to the preservation and prosperity of the amusement industry and we'll just miss their convention in SF the week before. Did you know that? Well, I sure didn't!
Fernando, your mission should you choose to accept it, is to scout out the best exhibits. And there are apps for you that should help....maybe?
And lots of videos on such topics as Hack this Book, and the Science of Cocktails. We'd better get lots of sleep the night before because this visit is really going to stretch our minds!
Now, we're on the Embarcadero....should we go to the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market first. Opps! only Tues, Thurs and Saturdays.
Well, there's always a streetcar ride along the Embarcadero! Then Fort Mason? The Presidio Trust at the Montgomery Street Barracks: Building 103 has an exhibit "Crown Jewels: 5 Great National Parks Around the World and the Challenges They Face."
Yes, Green Street! So I'm thinking we can roll out of bed and down Green and end up at the Exploratorium just before we splash into the bay. Wrong, when I hop into my Google maps car, I find I can't get there from here. Part of Telegraph Hill is in the way, and Green doesn't appear to go through. My Google takes me to Columbus where I jog right until I hit Broadway southeast (L) for two blocks and then north (L) on Sansome two blocks to pick up Green and continue east (R) to my destination. It's about a mile.
On to the Exploratorium site where I discover:
Friday, March 14, is Pi Day and the museum is FREE. It's a holiday founded by the museum. Open 10 to 5, and we'd better get there early! Senior admission is normally $19.
Also, that 1.5 acres of the Exploratorium's new 2 acres of outdoor exhibit space is free and open to the public. I'm wondering where they got those 2 acres of outdoor space on a pier and whether we'll need snorkels.
Read about the "Metamophosis" of the museum at Funworld Magazine.
IAAPA is dedicated to the preservation and prosperity of the amusement industry and we'll just miss their convention in SF the week before. Did you know that? Well, I sure didn't!
Fernando, your mission should you choose to accept it, is to scout out the best exhibits. And there are apps for you that should help....maybe?
And lots of videos on such topics as Hack this Book, and the Science of Cocktails. We'd better get lots of sleep the night before because this visit is really going to stretch our minds!
Now, we're on the Embarcadero....should we go to the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market first. Opps! only Tues, Thurs and Saturdays.
Well, there's always a streetcar ride along the Embarcadero! Then Fort Mason? The Presidio Trust at the Montgomery Street Barracks: Building 103 has an exhibit "Crown Jewels: 5 Great National Parks Around the World and the Challenges They Face."


Oh, Penny, I'm so glad you discovered Pi day! Fernando will be ecstatic, as will our pocket books! Too bad it doesn't open earlier than 10 am. Do you think there will be a line??
ReplyDeleteAnd did you know that it's been open at it's new location for less than a year? I wonder if Fernando will still like it since its new location has exposed it to a "whole new audience", not just engineers. Admission is also free on Engineering Day (as well as groundhog's day and mother's day...Are those new or old audiences?).
ReplyDeleteWell, you've got to find new audiences to stay in business. And it will be his job to determine if the museum still maintains it's scientific strengths and geekiness. Don't you think? And, yes, I think there will be a line!
ReplyDelete