The weekend before Willy was born, Fernando and I drove into San Francisco and wandered around the Russian district out on Geary. We stopped at a little delicatessen and Fernando swears that they had the best pastrami (or was it corned beef?) that he's ever eaten -- either before or since. So naturally he has commanded me to find that place...
Will Wise Sons Delicatessen at the Contemporary Jewish Museum do? They also have locations in the Ferry Building and in the Mission District. The owners are from LA and offer pastrami and corned beef, matzoh ball soup and chopped liver. But they also offer a Chinese Chicken Salad and a Country Club Cobb... Not authentic Jewish?
A search on Yelp brings up 5 or 6 Russian Delis in the Richmond like the Russian Deli, the Gastronom Deli & Bakery and the Moscow & Tbilisi Bakery Store. Most of them are along Geary in Little Russia and the food appears more Russian than Jewish but still worth a visit. Remember M & I International Food in Brighton Beach? I'm not a great fan of meringues or meat pirogies but there's bound to be something we can't resist.
A search on Yelp for Jewish delis in the Inner and Outer Richmonds only brings up the House of Bagels and A K Meats until it moves on to Shabu House and Thanh Thanh Cafe (??). Maybe we better try LA for Jewish delis, not San Francisco. Or we could go to Miller's East Coast Deli in the meantime, which has everything: hoagies and burgers as well as deli sandwiches. Its website doesn't have prices on its menu but I can't imagine that it is out of our price range... Or we could just go to Tommy's Joynt and have a pastrami sandwich or lamb shanks and a beer. Except I'm looking through their 590 photos and can't find a pastrami on rye that I'd like to eat... They do have some shots of the lamb shanks so you can see whether you'd like to eat it.
Oh my...a lot of time has gone by! When you next come to NYC we can pursue this quest, but I'm not sure, even then, it will be easy. Lost generations? Too much healthy diet awareness?
ReplyDelete