Saturday, February 8, 2014

Our Week in Baltimore

This last week Penny and I attended a Road Scholar program at the Peabody Institute in Baltimore covering Chopin, Liszt and Vladimir Horowitz.  We were the youngest among the attendees, the oldest being 95 but not looking it at all.  I thought it was a rather rigorous schedule, attending two classes in the morning and then spending the afternoon visiting the Peabody Library and the Walters Art Museum, learning about the history of the piano, attending a Master Class in voice and a symphony rehearsal.  And then after dinner we would attend two recitals, one at 7:15 and the other at 8:30 pm.  I was pretty tired at the end of the day but all those folks older than us kept right up with the program.  The food wasn't gourmet (we ate at the dining hall) but the coffee was awfully good and we needed a lot of it to keep us going.  The highlight of the program was hearing the Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 30 in E Major, Opus 109 three times.  Or was it four?  When I left on Friday I had a lot of music in my head and only wish I could separate the tunes and assign them to the right composer...

We didn't take too many photos of the Peabody but were able to get out on Thursday afternoon to visit Baltimore's Inner Harbor and Fell's Point, and eat out at an Italian restaurant where Penny was able to get her crabcake (the dining hall only had codcakes).

Penny and her crabcake at Dalesio's
Doorway with crab in Fell's Point

Bertha's Mussels where we ate once with the kids

Somehow I pictured Bertha as heavier.

a street in Little Italy

Another doorway in Fell's point

They all had wreaths

a street in Fell's Point

Fell's Point

Can you see the UnderArmour factory across the harbor?

Resident sea gulls in the Inner Harbor
Sanitary Plant and Museum

Coast Guard boat in the Inner Harbor

Coast Guard boat
Marsh restoration...

Taking Photos

Dragon Paddle Boats

Penny lost her hat on the bus and had to buy a new one at H&M

All sorts of things to see in the Inner Harbor

Ripley's Believe it or not

Historic schooner in the Inner Harbor

Half our class

Enjoying the dining hall.  The coffee was wonderful!

The food could have been worse and we did have a selection

The other half of the classroom

Neurosurgery rare books exhibit in the Peabody Library

The classic cast iron balconies in the Peabody Library

Quite spectacular

Even the door handles were beautiful.

Typical bay windows in the Mt. Vernon neighborhood

Mt. Vernon Church near Peabody Institute

I'm not sure what they were celebrating here

Francis Scott Key died on the the site of the church

You can see that the blue/green stone was not discolored like the other stone.
Do you think it has copper in it that acts as a fungicide?

Lots of historic houses in Mt. Vernon

George Peabody

Entrance to the Peabody Institute of Music

Our much photographed church

The side door to the Peabody

This is the Peabody Inn -- dorm for graduate students

3 comments:

  1. You took more photos than you thought! And they look pretty good for that simple, little camera!
    It was great! And we did hear the Beethoven Op. 109 FOUR times, not to mention the times I thought I heard it through rehearsal room doors. I hope it will ever be associated with Peabody. Before this I thought of Myra Hess and the concerts at the British Museum during the Blitz time. Such a beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wish that blogspot had a gallery layout like wordpress does for the photos. Maybe I can get an add-on.
    I'm listening to Liszt's Sonata in B Minor now, the piece that Doug went over measure by measure. It's one CD that we own. I'm hearing theme 2 over and over in my head these days...

    ReplyDelete