- Spanish Steps
- St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel (16+4€)
- Palazzo della Cancelleria's Da Vinci Exposition
- Galeria Borghese (€ 11)(Bernini's sculptures and Caravaggio's paintings)
- Villa Farnesina (5-6€) in Trastevere for the Raffaello
I won't put mine down because I have about 100 and they are almost all in previous blog postings.
![]() |
| Leonardo Express |
But just a short nap since we have to walk half a mile down to the SMA supermarket just beyond Santa Maria Maggiore (maybe pop in to say hello), unless Andrea tells us there is a better one close by (qui vicino). We can't visit the Nuovo Mercato Esquilino because the mercati are only open Monday-Saturday and we arrive on a Sunday. We'll save that one for when Penny arrives. I have a new Baggalini backpack so I'll take it with me to stock up on a few things we might need, like bread and milk and wine. I wonder what Andrea will supply us with.
Near the SMA supermarket is a UPIM Department store that is open on Sundays from 9am to 8pm, in case either of us forget to bring underwear or in case we want to pick up something in the latest color: verde petrolio. Petroleum Green? (deep teal in English)
![]() |
| Via Sistina |
![]() |
| il Natale luminarie in Via del Corso |
I don't have any restaurants marked on the route (we can't afford any in this neighborhood) and we're beginning to get a bit hungry so maybe we can walk a couple of blocks over to Antica Birreria Peroni. Shoot! It's closed on Sundays!! Did we buy any food for dinner?? Maybe we'll run across a pizza place in our wanderings or is everything closed? Otherwise we'll need to walk the .8 mile back to the apartment (have we bought a weekly bus pass yet?) and cook some spaghetti.
Oh wait!! We can look for stuzzichini! Those free little aperitivi in bars along the way. Except I always feel out of place in bars.
And then there are those tavole calde, fast-food Italian-style cafeterias, like Il Delfino, near the Pantheon, where you can pick up pizza and chips (!) for €9,50 (with a dessert and beverage). But watch out: it has a tourist menu and wifi but no hours, although Yelp says it is open on Sundays from 7:30am to 10:30pm.
I think we are going to have to play it by ear and make sure we have something in the apartment as a fall-back. Most restaurants are closed on Sunday so, Penny, you won't miss anything.






Hey, I think I might have an old LL Bean fitness fleece in petrolio! And how can you say everything is closed on Sundat when that branch of the UPIM dept store is open! That's more than i"m used to. I'm going to study their web site because the motto of Vivere low cost con stile should set just the right tone for our trip.
ReplyDeleteIt's going to take some thought to come up with my top five, although I'm happy to see that Fernando has insured the Borghese and the Vatican, so that removes some of the pressure.
Looked up "petrolio" in Word Reference to make sure it meant petroleum, which it does, but it also means blue-green. Who would have thought?? And there is also a COIN Department Store at the Termini railroad station that is open every day, including Sunday, from 8am to 10pm. And a supermarket too. Why, we could get everything we need in Rome at Termini...
Delete