Saturday, April 7, 2007

Train to Pamplona

This week I posted to the gocamino listserv my question about how to get from Madrid to Pamplona. The only flights were at about 8 pm at night and afterour experience at Gatwick in 1999, I don't want to spend a whole day in the airport waiting for a flight. So our other options are a 5 hour bus ride or a 3.5 hour train trip. The other pilgrims on the gocamino list serve seemed to like the train better than the bus. There are 3 trains a day and we are hoping that we don't need reservations. Afterall we don't know if our plane will arive on time with us on it.
http://www.continental-auto.es/
http://www.renfe.es/

If we can't get a train or bus on sunday, we can stay overnight and catch one the following day.

This past week they have been having snow in the Pyrenees and rain in Pamplona. A british pilgrim died of hyperthermia after he got lost on the trail from St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles.
http://www.diariodenavarra.es/
The Camino (Ruta de Napoleon) does not parallel the highway in that area and there are many tales of pilgrims becoming lost in that region. The Refugio at Roncesvalles would ring a bell in the night to guide pilgrims who were lost to the Church.

I also read an account of a barefoot pilgrim who left on April 29th and said that it was quite cold. So I will take that lightweight fleece shirt afterall.

Ultreia!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that after the barefoot pilgrim account you decided to take a fleece. I thought you were going to say that you decided to take shoes, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. barefoot? what kind of weirdos are going on this camino?! just kidding. although I hope you guys don't get any crazy ideas like that. Shoes were invented for a reason.

    ReplyDelete