Thursday, December 30, 2010

E. Dehillerin

Fernando will bug me forever about getting new knives so maybe I should get them at E. Dehillerin in Paris. Then I MUST remember to check my luggage through and not carry it on and NOT to put the knives in my backpack... (Although I hear from Paris Breakfast that they do not carry German knives...Only Sabatier)

Clotilde Dusoulier talks about this professional kitchenware store in her blog Chocolate & Zucchini. She bought some knives there and she says: "I liked that the ones the sales guy recommended were really affordable, so I went for these. My oh my, I had read that good knives change your life, but had not realized how much!" Am I ready for a life change? There are also a lot of comments on that blog posting, including one that said: "What you didn't mention is that they are most gracious and helpful. I shopped and one of the employees kept the kids occupied."

If the clerks are willing to babysit, then maybe they won't chase out three third age Americans who are just browsing! And maybe we can pick up that Mandoline for Camila finally!

Clotilde also lists 3 other kitchenware stores that are in the area on rue Montmartre:
A. Simon (48 rue Montmartre, 75002 Paris)
La Bovida (36 rue Montmartre, 75001 Paris)
Mora (13 rue Montmartre, 75001 Paris) - David Lebovitz says that Mora is a must for pastry chefs and bakers visiting Paris.
E. Dehillerin is at 18 rue Coquillère, 75001 Paris.

Look at all the Arôme concentrés you can get at Mora! I wonder what "barbe à papa" is. Aha! it is "cotton candy", literally "father's beard", and according to wikipedia, Barbapapa is a character in a series of French children's books of the 1970s: "Barbapapa himself is a generally pear-shaped, pink shapeshifting blob-like creature who stumbles upon the human world and tries to fit in." Well, that's one flavor I won't easily forget.


Wait! Wait! I'm not done with this post yet. Paris Breakfast finally told me how to pronounce Dehillerin: Day-ler-ran. I hope she's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment