Penny said David Lebovitz had nothing positive to say about Franprix. And on his blog he says he "decided to stop going to my local Franprix and Monoprix because, well, I wanted to go somewhere where they treated customers like human beings."So now he goes to his local Shopi supermarket (but they aren't on the list of Illy coffee sellers and there isn't one very close to Rue St Paul). But then, wouldn't you know it? I found out that Shopi is part of groupe Carrefour so Lebovitz is still shopping a conglomerate. He must have simply run into some kind clerks at his local store. Since Lebovitz lives (or lived) over by Boulevard Richard Lenoir, I'm assuming he goes to the rue Amelot Shopi. But I don't think I care too much for its looks. Too much like the old Giant Eagle in Oakland.

Now here's the Monoprix on rue St. Antoine. I must admit it looks more like a department store (which it is) than a supermarket but I'm hoping it has the food in the basement (like in Lausanne - or the City of Paris!).

Yelp had some reviews on this Monoprix:
"This establishment has saved me so much money and helped me live in Paris without being absolutely poor! They literally have everything from groceries to school supplies to clothes."
"Monoprix could definitely be the French counterpart to our very own Target in the States... they offer a little of everything."
"They stock this one generic brand of smoked salmon that costs 3 euros for like a pound and I used to have that as my day's food...Also, two words: coconut yogurt...Their wine selection is also stellar if you are into buying wines for less than 5 euros, and who isn't?"
And this for Fernando:
"They had cooking tools that were affordable, like a few micro-sized glass bowls I bought for souvenirs for my fellow food industry workers back home. It helped that they said, "Made in France" on the bottom. Plus, for 1 euro, you can't beat it. I also went and bought a few jars of Dijon mustard and while you may be thinking, "What the?" When Dijon is used so frequently in a lot of recipes, it costs a whopping $5 in the states, when I can buy it for 1 euro in Paris. So, I bought a few jars. It didn't help that they confiscated all but one at the Montreal airport, but managed to miss one jar I had at the bottom. Ha! Delicious contraband mustard tastes much better."
Now, why would they confiscate mustard? Unless it was in a carryon.
So you see we have a lot to look forward to, no matter what supermarket we choose. And to get to the Monoprix, we just have to walk to the right up rue St. Paul and make another right on rue St. Antoine and it is half a block down. Almost as good as in Lausanne when the Manor department store was across the street! Oh, and look. Up the rue st. Antoine is another little supermarche, the G20. But it is only open Monday-Saturday, 9am-8:30pm. No 24 hour supermarkets here!
Monoprix here we come!
ReplyDelete