I'm sorry. I can't help it. I'm strolling the streets of Île St Louis with the street view of Google maps. (Too bad the google trucks weren't allowed into the Louvre.) From the apartment at 16 rue Saint-Paul, I went down St. Paul to the Quai de Celestins, turned right and strolled up along the edge of the Seine to Pont Marie and crossed the bridge onto the the island St. Louis.

I went over to Berthillon, the ice cream place, and then down rue St. Louis en Île to the eastern tip and then up the Quai de Bethune (this area seems pretty residential) and then right on the Rue de deux Ponts and left on rue St. Louis en Île, where there are more stores. One of them is
Pylones, a designer of funky gifts we can take back. Of course they have a store in New York too so this will be nothing new for Penny. How's this mouse and mouse pad?

They also have a
wonderful selection of bicycle bells for kids. And
fantastic tamborines, with lunch bags to match. I better get out of the store and keep walking! Oof! there are a lot of tourists on the street and in large groups so I'm going to cross the Pont St. Louis onto Île del la Cité to escape from them! Oh, Oh, now I've run into a bunch of souvenir shops, the first I have seen in my virtual wanderings. Fortunately in this section of the Google street view it is now early in the morning and there aren't any more tourists on the street. That just goes to show that it pays to get an early start. Of course, the stores are shut as well but sometimes that also is a good thing. Oh, oh, I dropped myself down on the grounds of Notre Dame and now I can't find a way out. Google keeps going around in circles so I will have to drop myself down on another street.
OK. Now I am on rue st. Jacques in the Latin Quarter on the left bank. On the right is the Istanbul Cafe and on the left, the Shywawa Pub (evidently a very popular wifi hotspot) and Polly Maggoo (which is open all night, "
and it's a good thing, too, because the people who go here after about 2:00 A.M. shouldn't be allowed on the streets." - according to
Tom's Guide to Paris.) Hm. Maybe I am glad we are staying in the Marais. Ah but Tom has some
interesting walks for us to do so maybe we should heed his advice. The first one is on the Right Bank and the second on the left. I'll print them out and read them in bed... One can only do so much online.
What a wonderful blog entry! And you can browse Pylones without being appalled by the prices. Hey, we're just looking anyway! Do you think it's cheaper in Paris...as I remember lots was Japanese. We'll have to research this.
ReplyDeleteAnd I looked at Tom's Guide. How does he ever find the time to visit all those cafes and bars? I guess he doesn't buy things at the market to cook in his apartment